The Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce named its 2017 Class of Top 10 small businesses Thursday night at a private reception at the Faultless Event Space in the West Bottoms. This is the 31st year for the chamber’s annual small business celebration. At a luncheon on May 16, one of the 10 will be selected as the Small Business of the Year and Mr. K Award winner.
An independent panel of judges selects the winners based upon the companies’ business principles and how they model the philosophy of Ewing Kauffman. The hallmarks of that philosophy are growth or sustainability in business, excellent employee relations and an outstanding record of community service.
The Chamber’s 2017 Top 10 Small Businesses are:
- Alpha Energy & Electric // an energy and electrical construction company
- Andrews McMeel Universal // a global, independent and integrated media company
- BHC Rhodes // an engineering design and surveying services firm that works with public works, development, utilities and surveying customers
- Bob Hamilton Plumbing // a company that provides residential plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and rooter services
- Code Koalas // a digital agency that specializes in innovative custom software development
- Heritage Biologics // a rare disease specialty and home infusion pharmacy
- KC Restoration // a company that restores and maintains the beauty of aged or damaged metal, stone, and wood
- Paleterias Tropicana // known for its Latin-themed food, ice cream and beverages, the company has four locations
- Pro Athlete Inc. // a full-time online sporting goods retailer
- Weave Gotcha Covered // a company that provides custom window coverings, bedding and upholstery.