Local firms honored at Excellence in Construction Awards
Associated Builders & Contractors Inc., Heart of America Chapter, announced the winners of the 2018 Excellence in Construction Awards program at the annual awards banquet this month.
Winners were selected by a panel of judges who reviewed the project entries explaining safety practices, innovative solutions and unique challenges among other judging criteria.
The Top General Contractor Award went to Mega Industries Corp. for the nature play area project at the Kansas City Zoo, which is an ADA-accessible playground for children of all abilities. The Top Subcontractor was awarded to HTH Cos. Inc. was named as Top Subcontractor for the Tate & Lyle Boiler 5 project.
Josh Wehmeyer of Thermaltech Inc. earned the Arthur C. Waugh Keystone Award.
- ElectricalCommercial/Institutional Under $2 million: Pro Circuit Inc., 110-118 West Armour Historic Renovation
- Electrical/Commercial Institutional-$2-$10 million: Pro Circuit Inc., 531 Grand
- Electrical Industrial-Under $2 million: Pro Circuit Inc., QuickTrip New Donut Line & Baker
- Interior Exterior: JPI Glass, 21C Museum Hotel project
- Mechanical Commercial/Institutional-Under $2 million: HTH Cos. Inc., Missouri State University Woods House
- Mechanical Industrial –Under $1 million: HTH Cos. Inc., Tate & Lyle Boiler 5 project
General contracting categories
- Commercial-$5-$10 million: Fogel-Anderson Construction Co., Geiger Ready-Mix Corporate Offices
- Commercial-Over $10 million: HarenLaughlin Construction, Avenue 80
- Health care: Nabholz, Hutchinson Regional Medical Center
- Historic Renovation: HarenLaughlin Construction, Normal School Lofts
- Industrial-Under $5 million: Fogel-Anderson Construction Co., Metalabs Expansion
- Industrial-Over $5 million: Lee Mechanical Contractors Inc., Kiln Waste Gas and Raw Mill Dedusting Systems
- Infrastructure, Heavy: Mega Industries Corp., 6200 Nieman Storm Drainage Improvements
- Institutional-Under $5 million: Crossland Construction Co. Inc., Fort Osage Stadium and Breezeway
- Institutional-Over $5 million: Crossland Construction Co. Inc., Joplin Early Childhood Center
- Public Works/Environmental: Lee Mechanical Contractors Inc., Argos Precalciner Dust Collector
- Specialty: Mega Industries Corp., Nature Play Area at Kansas City Zoo
- Subcontractor Safety Award: Fatboy Electric, Inc.
- General Contractor Safety Award: Sieve Contractors, Inc.
- Ted Anderson Superior Safety Award: Wachter Inc.
Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc. (ABC) is a national trade association representing more than 21,000 merit shop contractors, subcontractors, materialsuppliers and related firms across the United States. ABC membership represents all specialties within the U.S. construction industry and is comprised primarily of firms that perform work in the industrial and commercial sectors of the industry. The ABC Heart of America Chapter serves Missouri and Kansas.