Good Energy Solutions’ horizons are bright: the Lawrence-based solar energy company was recently recognized by the Kansas Small Business Development Center as the University of Kansas’ 2019 SBDC Existing Small Business of the Year.
The annual awards ceremony took place in Topeka on March 12. Each year the Kansas SBDC recognizes existing, emerging and exporting Businesses of the Year from the eight Kansas SBDC regional centers.
Good Energy Solutions owner and co-founder Kevin Good launched the alternative energy company in 2007 with an education component to his business to ensure well-informed consumers. The company is also a Thinking Bigger 25 Under 25 alumnus (Class of 2018).
Sixteen Kansas small businesses were selected from more than 2,400 businesses that received Kansas SBDC one-on-one business advising services in 2018.
“The selected businesses were chosen through careful consideration by our Kansas SBDC regional directors and advisors,” said Greg Panichello, Kansas SBDC state director. “Collectively, the Kansas SBDC team believes these 16 small businesses are excellent examples of small businesses that have learned to adapt and succeed in challenging times.”
The winning Kansas businesses, listed with their locations and owners:
Existing Businesses of the Year
- Floyds Inc., Emporia; John and Ruth Wheeler
- LaCrosse Furniture Co., La Crosse; Employee-owned
- Wolcott Foods, Kansas City, Kan.; Ron and Ronnie Tilman
- Good Energy Solutions, Lawrence; Kevin and Shana Good
- Bolling’s Meat Market & Deli, Iola; Cara Bolling Thomas
- Angela’s Wellness Center, Elkhart; Angela Willey
- Dod Installations, Wichita; Wilt and Tina Dodd
- The Winged Lion, Manhattan; Ralph Diaz
Emerging Businesses of the Year
- Ellen Plumb’s City Bookstore, Emporia; Marcia Lawrence
- Lost Creek German Shepherds, Clayton; Taylor and John Meitl
- Safely Delicious, Overland Park; Lisa Ragan
- Leeway Franks, Lawrence; Lee and K Meisel
- ArtForms Gallery, Pittsburg; Sue Horner, Janet Lewis, Ruth Miller and Sylvia Shirley
- Gravity Wellness Center, Garden City; Kristi Schmitt
- Triple Threat Ag Services, Conway Springs; Allen Lange, Paul Lange, Phillip Lange and Aaron Lange
- Norsemen Brewing Co., Topeka; Jared and Emily Rudy, Adam and Melissa Rosdahl