Several companies from the Kansas City area will be recognized this month during Kansas’ Minority and Women Business Awards Luncheon.
The 30th annual luncheon, hosted by the Kansas Department of Commerce’s Office of Minority and Women Business Development, will be held at 11:30 a.m. on Oct. 15 at the Capitol Plaza Hotel, 1717 Southwest Topeka Boulevard, in Topeka.
Presented during Kansas Minority Enterprise Development Week, the event will recognize 13 companies and three individuals for their support of minority and women-owned businesses in Kansas.
“Minority Enterprise Development Week is a great opportunity to honor the minority and women owned businesses in our state,” Kansas Commerce Secretary Pat George said in a release. “The companies and entrepreneurs recognized at the awards luncheon stand out for their tremendous contributions to their communities and our economy. They are leaders who help make Kansas a great place to live and work.”
The 2014 winners to be honored at the luncheon:
Company Awards – Kansas Women-Owned Businesses
- Construction: RFB Construction Co. Inc.; Deborah Beachner, Pittsburg
- Manufacturer: Global Aviation Technologies LLC; Candace Cottner, Wichita
- Professional Service: New Birth Company LLC; Catherine Gordon and Kendra Wyatt, Overland Park
- Retail: Prairiebrooke Arts; Brooke Morehead, Overland Park
- Service Industry: Wilson Chiropractic Center; Rosemarie Wilson, El Dorado
- Supplier/Distributor: Premier Promotions LLC; Joan Carhart and Cindy Carhart, Leawood
Company Awards – Kansas Minority-Owned Businesses
- Construction: Agua Fina Irrigation & Landscape LLC; Hector Dean, Kansas City
- Manufacturer: MASS Medical Storage LLC; Aubrey Guezuraga, Lenexa
- Professional Service: Chelsoft Solutions Co.; Kiran Chelluri, Olathe
- Retail: Tequilas Mexican Grill; Medardo Munoz, Garden City
- Service Industry: God’s Distribution Enterprises, LLC dba Goin’ Postal; Joyce Moore, Kansas City
- Supplier/Distributor: Evolv Solutions LLC; Ronald Harland, Overland Park
- Minority Business Advocate: Carol Wei, Mid-America Asian Culture Association, Olathe
- Women Business Advocate: Bonnie Fullinwider, Beechcraft Corporation, Wichita
- Young Entrepreneur: Daryl Bugner, Design Brilliance LLC; Lawrence
- Corporation of the Year: KCP&L, Terry Bassham, President/CEO, Kansas City
Registration is required to attend the luncheon at $40 per person or $320 for a table of eight. Deadline is Oct. 8. To register, go to KansasCommerce.com/MEDWeek or contact Rhonda Harris, director of the Office of Minority and Women Business Development, at (785) 296-3425 or firstname.lastname@example.org.